5 Car Maintenance Tips that Everyone Should Know
There are some car maintenance tasks that just about anyone can and should do. Maybe you need to change out a broken tail light, replace an air filter, or swap out a windshield wiper that just isn’t doing its job anymore. But perhaps you aren’t accustomed to working on your car yourself.
The truth is, all you need to be able to make these repairs yourself is a little bit of information! These aren’t the types of jobs that you would ever really need a mechanic or even a handy friend to do for you. You can definitely do these yourself! And we are here to help.
First, join us on a video trip to the auto parts store, where Leah shows you how to use their reference materials to pick out just the right part that you need for your car.
Then, check out our list of minor repairs and maintenance tasks that everyone should know how to do for their own car. We have put together an easy-to-follow how to video for each task.:
1. Change Out a Broken Tail Light or Brake Light. This is only a bit harder than changing out a burned-out light bulb!
2. Replace the Air Filter It sounds like it would be difficult, but changing out the air filter on your car is as simple as 1-2-3.
3. Replace a Worn-out Windshield Wiper Blade Here is a quick review of the process for those who already have experience with this, and an easy how-to guide for those changing their wiper blades for the first time.
4. Clean the Battery Posts Believe it or not, dirty and corroded battery posts can prevent your car from starting! You can take care of this problem quickly and easily, following these simple steps.
5. Check the Tire Air Pressure You always want to be sure that your tires are inflated to the proper air pressure. This is an easy preventative step that anyone can do with a tire pressure gauge!
You can definitely do this!
by See Jane Drill, Copyright 2016, All Rights Reserved
Thank you for the help. I am going to be taking a road trip soon and need to focus on some car servicing first. I have not even checked the battery, much less cleaned it, in a while. How often do you think that the battery needs to be cleaned, as you addressed?
I didn’t know that I could change out the air filter myself. I didn’t even know it was supposed to be done, but that is good to know so that I don’t ruin my AC. How often does it need to be changed? Then I can start changing it out regularly.
Thank you for sharing. I am going to try and learn all of these skills. I am so hopeless when it comes to working on my car. I do not even know how to check my oil. I need to take my car in to get the brakes done. Maybe my mechanic can teach me how to do some of these things. I should at least be able to check the air in my tires and add a little air if needed.
Hi Suzan, we actually have videos which might help you. Here are some links to get you started: A Novice’s Guide to Adding Car Fluids: https://youtu.be/ovGzKspuoI8 and How to Check the Air Pressure in Your Tires: https://youtu.be/LbT2u7tQVSI
Very Informative post for car owners. One should try these car maintenance tips. It seems to be quite interesting.
This article can really help a lot. It is important to check the Tire Air Pressure and to be sure that the tires are inflated to the proper air pressure. Glad to read this article.
Hey guys – don’t forget the regular oil change. I’d even suggest going for the better synthetic oil to extend the life of your engine.
Thanks for sharing this informative article.This article is really very helpful and these tips are awesome.It is important to maintain your car so that it can run smoothly and saves money on the repair.