August 15, 2016
How to Attach a Water Supply Valve to CPVC Pipe. Watch this video to learn how to attach a (metal) water supply valve to CPVC (plastic) pipe. This is a helpful plumbing skill to know if you need to replace your water supply valve with a new one, but your plumbing to your sink is CPVC, rather than copper or another metal. This is a simple task that you can do yourself, if you use the correct fittings and follow the instructions shown. In this video, we supply step-by-details on how to complete this task, including:
- All the tools and materials you will need to complete the job
- How to cut the old water supply valve off the pipe, using two different methods
- What you should do if you don’t have enough pipe still sticking out of the wall after you cut off the old water valve. We show you how to extend the pipe out from the wall to be able to easily and quickly install the new water valve.
- How to attach CPVC pipe and fittings with primer and cement to create a good seal
- How to put everything together and attach the water supply line to complete the job
You can do this!
Copyright 2016, See Jane Drill
so, how do you turn off the water to do that? Mine doesnt leak, but the metal plate over the wall is horrible and rusty.
Hi Melissa, They make a split escutcheon (plate) that you can install without having to remove the valve. However, there is the matter of the old one…if it is in bad enough condition, you might be able to just cut it off without removing the water valve at all, or having to turn off the water.
However, if you must turn off the water, there are two ways to do it. You could either shut it off at the main (which would turn off all the water in the entire house) or, sometimes you can isolate the line that feeds the water supply valve that you are working on. The easiest way is to shut if off at the main.
Thank you!! The shut off to my toilet wasn’t working and I was trying to figure out how to replace it with CPVC! Awesome video!
thanks, Sarah, glad it was helpful!
[…] How to Attach a Water Supply Valve to CPVC Pipe […]
very good video. I’m about to have to change a valve.