How to Hang a New Door in an existing door frame. With some attention to detail and by following the instructions shown in the following video and attached written instructions, this is a task that you can definitely accomplish! We show you, step-by-step, how to hang a new wood door in an existing jamb, including:
- All the tools and materials you will need to accomplish the job
- How to dry-fit the new door before attaching the hinges, including how to use shims, and how to determine and mark the spot where the hinges will go
- How to mark and cut out the mortises for the new hinges. This step can be accomplished in various ways, however, our video shows a method which requires only a wood chisel and a utility knife for tools, and how to carve out the mortise using those tools.
- Drilling pilot holes and attaching the hinges to the new door with screws
- How to set the new door in the old jamb
You Can Do This!
Copyright 2013, See Jane Drill
Click HERE for How to Hang a New Door on an Old Jamb Written Instructions
Video does a great job of sharing tips & tricks for getting this project done. Another way to mark where the hinge plate goes, is to lay the new door on top of the old door, which makes a good template. Of course this assumes the old door was hanging correctly but that’s not always the case.
However my handyman experience also says you can buy a pre-hung door for not much more money. I guess it’s a trade-off in where you spend your time – chiseling or removing & reinstalling door trim.