June 1, 2016
How to Fix Cracks in an Asphalt Driveway
Bothered by the large cracks in your asphalt driveway? Or perhaps you need to repair your driveway to get your house ready for sale.
Whatever the reason, fixing large cracks in an asphalt driveway is actually easier than you might think, and is certainly a job that you can do yourself.
Here we show you, step-by-step, how to repair the cracks in your asphalt driveway.
First, watch our how-to video: Best Way to Fix Large Cracks in Asphalt Driveway
There’s no need to take notes while watching the video, because we have written everything down for you in our easy-to-follow written instructions:
How to Fix Large Cracks in an Asphalt Driveway – Written Instructions
- Rubberized asphalt sealant (available from most large home improvement stores, usually on a seasonal basis or here on Amazon)
- Flathead screwdriver (or any other tool that will help you to force the sealant into the crack)
- Propane torch and propane
Note Regarding Conditions: This job must be done on a dry day, without any moisture in the air, so that the material will adhere properly.
- Clean out the crack(s) thoroughly of any vegetation, dirt, etc. You can do this with a pressure washer if you have one, but a stiff-bristled broom or a wire brush will also work.
- Force the rubberized sealant material into the crack(s), using your screwdriver or other tool to ensure that it fits in there snugly. Tip: The material comes in two different thicknesses, however, if the smaller thickness isn’t small enough, you can pull on the ends of the material to thin it out to fit in the crack.
- Put on your gloves.
- Light your propane torch.
- The rubberized material will liquify as you heat it. Holding your propane torch just a few inches from the crack, move from one end of the crack to the other, heating the material. Note: Don’t be concerned if the plastic initially catches on fire; it will go out.
- Once the material is liquified, it will take about 15-20 minutes to set up. You can follow up with a top sealant, or not, as you like.
And that is all it takes to fix cracks in an asphalt driveway! You Can Do This!
by See Jane Drill, Copyright 2016, All Rights Reserved